SYLVIA KENT'S READING & WRITING FORUM

A history and lifestyle journal www.swwj.co.uk

Thursday, September 14, 2023

TALES FROM THE CIRCLE - A REMINDER OF WHAT IS HAPPENING IN BRENTWOOD, ESSEX, ENGLAND

 


TALES FROM THE CIRCLE by Sylvia Kent

Since my introduction to The City Times magazine, there has been interest from members of Essex writing groups and readers, some of whom like the idea of releasing that book they have felt has always lurked inside them.  The writing industry - in all its different ways - is regarded as strange, delightful and possibly exhausting! Some authors struggle for years with their articles, books and stories, yet others manage to see their work published, seemingly - overnight.   But this is rare!


Many agree that by seeking out people of like-mind often helps them succeed in this intriguing way of life. Some writers are happy to work hard – perhaps not in their proverbial garret – but often alone - and wish they could chat to others of similar persuasion, This is where Brentwood Writers’ Circle can be of help, where people receive a warm welcome.

 Last year, Sam Scott, an Essex-based author arrived and outlined her work to date writing books for children and young adults. She quickly discovered other BWC members who wrote in a similar genre. Sam’s introduction to the craft was one I had heard before.


 ‘I awoke on my 40 th birthday and asked myself “what can I do this year that I’ve never done before?'   The answer was 'I’m going to run the London Marathon and write a book!'  Two enormous challenges, but Sam completed both that year. To be fair, her energy and enthusiasm for all aspects of life are commendable. She is also a fully-qualified personal trainer and yoga teacher and more recently completed a creative writing course.  Sam’s first book was aimed at young readers with her trilogy, the first entitled Sophie Spirit and the Batting Manor Mystery which was released in 2021 and is selling well. This was followed by invitations to visit schools and bookshops across the county.


The author recalls: ‘When I perform public readings, one question often crops up: ‘Did you always want to be a writer?’   Strange as it seems, I have to say, no. I loved all the Enid Blyton and Winnie the Pooh books suitable for youngsters; then when I reached my teens I saw a movie called The Omen and my reading habits changed forever. Horror quickly became my favourite genre and the late James Herbert, my favourite author.’


 From that point, Sam’s successes have increased. Her second children’s book called Saving Shrin Gala was released last year followed by Sophie Spirit and the Tower of London Treasure.  Sam's latest thriller House of a Hundred Doors has just been published by the Book Guild and she is delighted with her excellent reviews. Her books are available from Amazon, Waterstones, Foyles, WHSmith and all good book shops. Sam can be followed on Facebook at Sam Scott Author.


Brentwood Writers’ Circle meets monthly at Bardswell Social Club, Brentwood and we offer a warm welcome to new writers - check out: www.brentwoodwriterscircle.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home