SYLVIA KENT'S READING & WRITING FORUM

A history and lifestyle journal www.swwj.co.uk

Monday, February 28, 2022

ONCE AGAIN, IN THESE DIFFICULT TIMES - THE TOPIC OF NUCLEAR BUNKERS WAS RAISED THIS MORNING ON LBC



 During my current PR tour advertising my latest book (and 12th contracted title - BRENTWOOD IN 50 BUILDINGS), I was asked on local radio to showcase one or two of my favourite buildings which I chose for inclusion in my book. Of course, there were many, but one of the most mysterious was the secret nuclear bunker at Kelvedon Hatch near Brentwood in Essex.

The construction of this 'cold war' building had been started in the early 1950s and was believed to be the largest and deepest bunker in the south-east of England. The people working on the project were not allowed to talk to anyone about what was going on, yet many villagers all seemed to know! 

Subsequently, over the years that followed, I managed to meet and interview some of the people who were involved and had actually helped dig out the soil at the time of construction.  Many years later, I was invited by the current owner, Michael Parrish to pay a visit with a view to writing a feature for my regular newspaper column and regional magazines. Michael offered me a warm welcome and a chance to talk with him and take photographs of the remaining artefacts from the Cold War period - now on display. 

All you will see at first glance, is merely a modest little bungalow, but take the self-guided tour and you will learn some amazing facts and figures. There is a museum below displaying many items from the fifties and an example of the spooky medical operating theatre and dormitory, plus the bunker canteen and numerous aspects of a long-forgotten period in time, that you may have to make a return visit to absorb the whole story. 

Last time I visited the Bunker, my latest book BRENTWOOD IN 50 BUILDINGS book was on display

Other aspects of interest in this Secret Bunker and the memories of people who were there at the time, are included in another of my books VOICES OF BRENTWOOD which was originally published by Tempus Publications in 2020 and has recently been reprinted. 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home