SYLVIA KENT'S READING & WRITING FORUM

A history and lifestyle journal www.swwj.co.uk

Thursday, October 08, 2020

DISCOVERING ETSY AND SOME FASCINATING CRAFTERS ALONG THE WAY - SEE FOR YOURSELF!

 


I've always enjoyed craft work of all types, embroidery, knitting, crochet, macramé, tatting and making clothes, working with unusual fabrics, and although it's a long time since I've created anything useful myself, I'm delighted when I receive a hand crafted gift, especially made by someone I know.

 



So, you can imagine how lovely it was recently to receive some beautifully-made cases for my specs, tablet and jewellery created especially for me in my favourite colours and on my favourite cat themes.  This craft maker is Jenni Elliott who sells her bags, cards and jewellery via her Etsy shop, Kitty Kent Handmade. Jenni's list of items is growing and it's worth taking a look at her Etsy shop  to see some of her latest creations. 


 

Another talented crafter friend is Liz Kemp whose beautiful bags and other items have appeared in many of the most famous craft shows that have taken place around the UK in the past.






 


Every one of Liz’s products is unique, designed by herself. She is often inspired by fellow designers and crafters and likes to play around with texture, colour and shape and sometimes incorporates appliqué and other techniques within her designs. Perhaps the most unique factor is that the fabric from which Liz’s amazing items are created, has been woven by her sister in the Welsh countryside. Liz's ideas are fascinating and the resulting gifts using hand woven tweeds are innovative. 


Liz said:   From my workshop in Essex I design and make my bags, accessories and dog coats. 'Working with textiles I use a variety of carefully selected natural fabrics including silk, wool and vintage, but mostly I use 100% wool tweeds which are woven in Wales by my sister, Stephanie, who is also a WGDC member. 'The tweed is unique, beautiful, soft, hardwearing and lovely to work with.

My designs are unfussy but interesting and I use the design features of the cloth to ensure every bag is unique. 'I like to play around with colour, texture and shape and sometimes incorporate applique' or other creative techniques in the design.' I really enjoy the creative process and pride myself on my attention to detail and quality.' I try to ensure my bags are practical and fit for purpose as well as being stylish.

website  www.lizzington.com

***************************


For those folk who have yet to learn about Etsy, here is a brief profile.  Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. It’s home to a cornucopia of amazing items, from unique handcrafted pieces to vintage treasures and some wonderfully amusing gifts, too - again, all made by hand.
We are all in a time of increasing automation and thankfully, it is  Etsy's mission to keep human connection at the heart of commerce. That’s why they have built a place where creativity lives and thrives because it’s powered by real people.  Etsy actually helps their community of craft sellers turn their imaginative ideas into successful businesses. Their platform connects them with literally millions of purchasers looking for something different, something unique, with a human touch. 
 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home