SYLVIA KENT'S READING & WRITING FORUM

A history and lifestyle journal www.swwj.co.uk

Monday, April 06, 2020

FRUGALITY AND A RETURN TO "THE BACK OF THE KITCHEN CUPBOARD"

We are in such toxic and worrying times and in the interests of frugality I have just listened to a BBC Radio 4 programme about 'BACK OF THE KITCHEN CUPBOARD' cooking store ingredients.  
Don't laugh, but over 40 years ago, as a enthusiastic, but a rookie cook, I did exactly that - poked around in the cupboard, found some bits and pieces in little tins, cooked a chopped  onion, added this to the mess in the bowl and used this after making some pancakes, rolled them up, made a quick tomato sauce and popped them into a slowish oven. At the time the local rag The Brentwood Gazette was running a cookery competition - on a whim, I sent this recipe to their editor and, hey ho - won this fabulous Kenwood Chef.  This was a lovely surprise and the start of a great interest in the culinary arts.  
Fanny Cradock
A few years later, I was offered my first regular press column writing about food, gardening, making wine and bread and all things domestic, which brought old Fanny Cradock to my kitchen!  Today I am rooting through the "back of the kitchen cupboard" and in this mode will be in touch with my great friend, the writer Piper Terrett (lives in Hertford),who wrote her best-selling book The Frugal Life.  About time, it was re-published, Piper?  Just heard that this book can be  purchased via Amazon.    
Visit me on www.sylviakent.blogspot.com 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home